While fall weddings have increased in popularity the past couple of yeras, according to The Knot
nearly 35% of all weddings take place in June, July and August, making the summer the most popular season for weddings. With the warm weather, beautiful blooming flowers and extended daylight, it’s no surprise. Summer is especially appealing for those couples who want to have a garden ceremony and an outdoor cocktail hour. When planning for a summer wedding, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Outdoor Ceremony: If you are having an outdoor ceremony in the summer, you should consider the comfort of your guests. Guests should be seated just before the processional to avoid being out in the sun for an extended period. Another great idea is to have the ceremony program printed on hand held fans which can then be used by your guests during the ceremony to cool themselves.
- The Music: A summer wedding is perfect for music that feels celebratory, yet laid back. Consider featuring steel drums or a reggae band at your cocktail hour to set the mood.
- Cuisine: For cocktail hour, shrimp cocktail is always a favorite, especially in the summer! It’s light, cool and refreshing. For a great presentation, at Majestic Gardens we do a wedding cake ice sculpture with shrimp cocktail piled high on each tier. Additionally, consider stations for your cocktail hour which invoke thoughts of summer such as our Gourmet Burger Bar which includes mini milkshakes or a refreshing sangria station. For your reception, consider a fruit cuorse as your appetizer and offer a lighter entree for main courses such as Red Snapper with Mango Shrimp Salsa , Grilled Norwegian Salmon with Fresh Tomato Basil Salsa or Stuffed Portobello Mushroom wtih Spinach and Cheese. For dessert, chose everyone’s’ summertime favorite…ice cream! To jazz it up a bit try a Brownie Sundae Martini Bar with ice cold creamy vanilla or chocolate ice cream scooped over a scrumptious brownie served in martini glass with white chocolate Godiva sauce, chocolate peanut butter sauce, fresh raspberries, strawberries splashed with Grand Marnier and chocolate dipped maraschino cherries for toppings.
- Summer Themes: Summer themes are fun! Choose an ever popular classic like a Beach, Garden or Tropical theme. For a more modern approach, try a Picnic Chic or Upscale BBQ theme for your summer wedding.
- Save the Date: If you are planning a summer wedding, sending a “Save the Date” is a must! Your guests will definitely appreciate advance notice of your wedding plans as many people have very busy social schedules and vacations planned during the summer. It will also be very helpful to those guests who will need to make travel arrangements.
- Drinks: Serve refreshing summer favorites with a twist. Try a Pink Lemonade Martini or Iced Mango Tea Cocktail. Other favorites included the Bellini Bar, the Mojito Bar and the Iced Coffee Bar.
- Flowers: The summer offers an abundance of flowers but it’s important to select blooms that will hold up in the summer heat and work well with summer color palettes. Orchids are the strongest, most heat resistant. Garden roses offer lots of bright colors suitable for summer palettes while hydrangeas are great for adding fullness in arrangements but they are more fragile. If you are having floral arrangement for your outdoor ceremony, you should check with your florist to see which flowers can take the outdoor heat.